Skip to main content

Insecure Writer's Support Group Post-Focus on the Positive






Last month  I discovered that I tend to focus on the negative instead of the positive. This revelation came to me  during one of my son's soccer games, and it hit with all the force of a freight train.   After the game he asked if I noticed his assist.  I told him that I did, and it was good, but he needed to improve his touches.  He shrugged and said, "It figures, you always notice what I don't do."

I would have debated the point, but the truth is, he wasn't far off the mark.  If he brings home a report card with all A's and one B, I zero in on the lower grade. After giving this a lot of thought, I realized that this negativity also leaks into my writing.

As many of you know, I'm a member of some online critique sites.  When I first began my novel three years ago, I received a lot of negative feedback on my work.  Although it upset me a little, in retrospect, I expected nothing less.  After all, I was a fledgling fiction writer and it would take years to learn the craft.

One could argue (like my husband did)  that I turned the feedback into something positive by pushing myself to improve on my weaknesses.  Hell, I even overcame many of them.  Although this is good,  by concentrating on all the things I did poorly in, I failed to take pride in what I'd done right .

I think my negativity stems from a fear of failure.  If I tell myself I suck as a writer, then it won't sting so badly if I fail to publish. The problem with this logic is, negativity breeds more negativity.  It smothers out all the positive.  When I concentrate on my son's missed passes, I am so busy brooding that I fail to see the look of joy on his face when he has a goal assist.

For what it's worth.  I have turned over a new leaf.  From now on no more negativity.  I mean it.  All I did during my son's last two games was cheer him on.  I won't deny at first it seemed contrived, especially since I'm usually busy sideline coaching, but at the end of each game I felt really happy.  Leaving the commentary to the coaches freed up time to laugh with and enjoy the company of the other parents.  My son brought home a C the other day.  Instead of making a big deal out of it, I told him that although I didn't want this to become a habit, sometimes crap happens. We'd just study harder next time.

Essentially, there's no such thing as perfect.  Life's too short to try to achieve the impossible.  Each day is a gift, and I've decided to be thankful and appreciate all the blessings it brings.

What about you all?  Has anyone else ever had a similar experience.  If so, I'd be interested to know about it.  Until next time, happy writing.

Comments

  1. I think we all have fears that make us do the negative thing and not realize it. The important thing is realizing, but I know it's not easy. I always tell myself negativity never helps, but sometimes I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is soooo easy to forget. I'm going to try hard not to. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  2. in general, i'm a very positive person. And when negativity does strike me, i'm usually able to shrug it off without much effort. Just keep at it, and before long that positivity will just be your new nature and you won't have to work at it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope, Sarah. I want to get where you are and be able to shrug off the negativity. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  3. We're twins! Seriously, this rang so true for me, right down to how I handle my kids' activities. I don't want to be so positive that I miss important things, but I agree that focusing on more positivity really is the best way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, it's good to know I'm not alone here. You're right, it's better to be positive. Makes life so much easier. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  4. I am an optimist with the tendency to get pessimistic when I am tired. This can be very tiresome (oh the irony!)

    Fear of failure is such a tricky one. I suffered from that myself. Then I learned something. Successful people fail miserably at times. Then they dust themselves off and start something new. If they fail again, they start again, just until something sticks (this is from Poke the Box by Seth Godin).

    Ever since then, I love to fail miserably, because it means I get to start something anew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate. It's hard to be positive about anything when I'm tired.

      I will have to read Godin's book. What a way to look at failure. Thanks for the head's up.

      Delete
  5. THANKS for reminding me its the first wed of the month and thank you for following my site!

    I am slowly learning to believe in myself. Today, is good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, Green Monkey. Life's definitely a journey.

      Delete
  6. I'm like Sarah...usually a very positive person. I'm one of those who follows the guidance "if you don't have anything nice to say..." But I'll also be the first to say that ignoring the negative isn't always the way to go. A delicate balance is a better approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, D.L. you come bearing wonderful words of wisdom. I'm trying to find that balance. Hopefully it will happen sooner than later. Take care.

      Delete
  7. I'd never call myself an optimist, but there is something to be said for looking on the bright side. Joyce's Ulysses had 2,000 errors when it was published, and it's still a masterpiece. Bright side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, S.L. It's certainly warmer on the bright side.(: Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  8. Good for you! Staying positive isn't always easy, but it's worth the effort. Your balance will come sooner than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi carol, thanks for stopping by. As always, I appreciate the support.

      Delete
  9. So true being negative attracts more of it kind...being a pessimist by nature its more difficult when writing becomes the next t most thing in your life. I am learning to more positive and believe but it takes time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rek, and welcome. I hope your journey to positivity is a short one.(: I'll be right behind you. All the best.

      Delete
  10. My mother is that way, always pointing out the negative. She still doesn't believe I actually have books on Amazon and people are buying them.

    I try to take a different approach with my own daughter. It's funny, because I praise her with all her accomplishments so lavishly that when she does something wrong, she tells me about it first. I don't know if that's reverse psychology or not, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Anne, you also gave me lots of food for thought here. When my sons are grown I don't want them to remember me as a Negative Nelly. I hope your mother sees the light like I did. Life's too short to always focus on the bad stuff. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  11. Good point--if there's negativity, it will just attract more. I think I needed that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Golden Eagle. Reminders are good wake up calls. That's for sure. Take care.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v