Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group- Are you a Negative Nelly???






It's time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post.  I am always amazed at how easily I can list the things I'm insecure about, but ask me to add something positive, and I'm at a loss for words.  No matter how much I accomplish, I never stop to enjoy the spoils of my hard work. Instead, I tend to focus on the obstacles I've yet to overcome. 

After giving this some thought, I concluded that I am a Negative Nelly. For some reason, which is beyond me, I find that it's often easier to see the bad, than to acknowledge the good.  For example, if my son brings home a B on a test, I say, "Next time, lets try for an A."  Wouldn't it be better to acknowledge his effort, and be happy it wasn't a "C"?  If another writer praises my work-in-progress, I immediately think they didn't read it.  Wouldn't it be better to say thank you and enjoy the compliment?  Life's too short to look down on ourselves. How can we expect others to have confidence in us, if we don't have it in ourselves?  This said,  I decided to make a change starting today, and challenged myself to list four things I'm proud of.  Here goes nothing.
     
1)  Of course I'll begin with family, which is second in my life, next to God.  My husband and I have raised 
     three impressive young men. Not an easy feat in this day and age.

 2)  I earned my master's degree, despite having to drive two hours each way to get to school, and raising      
      three young children.

3)  I wrote and published my thesis.

4)  I completed three drafts of my novel, each one was an improvement on the last.

There, that wasn't so hard.  It only took me thirty minutes to think up four things. If any of you are also a Negative Nelly, then take my challenge. In the spirit of beginning the month in a positive light, I ask you to list four things you're proud of.  I'd be interested to read them.  No doubt each and every one of you have something to take pride in.  Until next time, Happy writing.