Monday, February 15, 2010

The "Eureka" Moment

Last February I embarked on a journey to become a published novelist. At the time, I thought this should be a piece of cake.  All I have  to do is write my story. Well, believe me when I tell you, this is easier said than done.

Each time I went to develop the story’s prophecy and its antagonist, I wound up blocked. Not only are the two elements linked, but they lead to the pinnacle of my plot. This is the place where the reader must say "Wow! Maybe something like that could really happen." Unfortunately, my original idea lacked the climax I needed to move forward with the manuscript.

Then, after a lot of prayer and serious contemplation, I experienced what is best described as a “Eureka” moment.  Whereby a person is struck by an idea that is so original and captivating that he or she wonders if  it is all a dream.  I can't explain what triggered it, but suddenly, I had the necessary pieces to complete my puzzle (so to speak). After writing the plot twist in my journal, I called a friend and shared my thoughts with her.  I couldn't have received a better response if I'd asked for one. She said, " Oh my God! What an interesting twist, how did you come up with that?” The genuine surprise and  excitement in her voice told me that I finally created a gripping and thought provoking plot.

Since my "Eureka" moment, I've tackled my manuscript with renewed vigor.  Although I still have a long way to go until my novel is complete, I think my new idea may be the difference between a story that is publishable and one that is not. Have any of you had a similar experience?  If so, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Until next time, happy writing.