Skip to main content

My Lesson For The Week

During my weekly visit to Books- A- Million I purchased, Getting the Words Right: 39 Ways to Improve Your Writing, by Theodore A. Rees Cheney. This is a book no writer should be without. It covers ways to reduce jargon, rearrange sentences, paragraphs and whole chapters. Theodore provides insightful suggestions on how to develop one's writing style and improve diction with shorter more active words. Last, but not least, he allocates an entire section to limiting modifiers.

 Since learning and writing seem to be congruent processes, I’ve decided to share some snippets from the book in a series of posts.  In lesson number one I learned ,“Redundancy in writing” does not mean repetitiveness. It is a catch-all term for excessive and unnecessary words which can be eliminated from a sentence without changing its meaning. Although there are six forms of redundancies, for the sake of brevity, I will only touch on two which are most overused by writers.

1) Tautology-“Saying the same thing that’s already been said.” (Theodore's definition). See the following examples from his book:

Original: He falsely misrepresented the situation.

Misrepresent means to give a false account about something or someone. The word “falsely’ does not add anything to the sentence so it can be deleted.

Revised: He misrepresented the situation.

Original: Let us glance briefly at the facts.

Glance means to look at something for a second. The word “briefly” is excessive and unnecessary.

Revised: Let us glance at the facts.

2) Pleonasm- “While tautology is the error of saying essentially the same thing twice in the same sentence, pleonasm is the error of including extra words without changing either the meaning or the structure of a sentence. “ (Theodore).

Original: Both the prime minister and the vice admiral agreed that the time for negotiations had passed.
          
Since the prime minister and vice admiral are already listed, it is not necessary to add the word "both."

Revised: The prime minister and the vice admiral agreed that the time for negotiations had passed.

Original: For severe cases, doctors may give a shot of Cortisone to block the development of further spread and to provide relief from the symptoms.

“The development of” can be deleted from the sentence without changing its meaning.

Revised: For severe cases, doctors may give a shot of Cortisone to block further spread and to provide relief from the symptoms.

After reading the above section I found all kind of redundancies in my writing. I wondered how I could have missed such obvious mistakes. Am I the Lone Ranger here, or are any of you guilty of violating the above writing rules? I’d be interested to know what you think. Until next time, Happy writing

Comments

  1. My hand is raised high! I'm just shaking my head at myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's some very good advice. No I don't think you are the only guilty one, that's for sure. But it's very eay to let yourself do these things in the first draft. Because you just want to get down everything you want to say without thinking of the wording - that's what the second draft is for. You can go through it and tighten it.

    I think it is a simple thing, but I think we all do it without realising it.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alliterative,
    I hate to draw comfort from the misery loves company thing, but it is good to know I'm not alone. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, I know I have lots of redundancies. I just checked to see if this book was on Kindle, so I could buy it right now, but darn it, it's not. I just use the Kindle app on my netbook, but I thought in this case, that's probably even better than using a Kindle since it would literally be just a click away when I'm writing.

    I noticed that the same author has an earlier book about editing and revising, which is probably something I need to work on too.

    Thanks for the heads up on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm getting closer to completing the first draft of my WIP. The book is really helping to prepare me for the editing portion of my writing journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v