Skip to main content

If At First You Don't Succeed, Eat Ice Cream and Try Again...

Hello All,
I hope life is treating you well. I would like nothing more than to tell you things are going splendidly here in my neck of the woods, but that would be a stretch. I recently submitted the first chapter of my work-in-progress to an online critique room for review. Unfortunately, the comments I received were quite disappointing. The majority of reviewers thought my characters were one dimensional and my approach was clichéd. I guess beginning a novel with a murder in a hospital room has been done to death.

I tucked my tail and pouted for a few days, seeking solace in the joy of cookie dough ice cream. Ten thousand calories later, I had a revelation. Re-writing is part of the process. I put on my big girl pants and decided it was time to fix the problems in my manuscript.

Before sitting down to write, I thought it would be prudent to conduct some research on the elements of an interesting character. One example that resonated with me was Hannibal Lector from Silence of the Lambs. His dichotomous personality is exactly what makes him interesting. Lector's redeeming qualities are illustrated by the mercy he shows Clarisse. He is also principled and lives by a set moral code, however warped it may be. Yet, his cannibalistic, unconscionable behavior keeps the reader at bay, ensuring they don't become too attached. He is a villain people love to hate.

I also researched plot development. I learned readers need to feel engaged and pulled into a story from the very first words. This is especially important for new writers because agents tend to throw a manuscript in the slush pile if it does not hook them in the first paragraph. I found a site that provides somel useful tips for setting up an interesting hook. Hook The Reader With The Very First Sentence - Some examples from the article are provided below:

1) Indicate a change from the routine. In The Da Vinci code: “Renowned Curator Jaques Sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery.” Although it is no surprise that a curator is in a museum, it is intriguing to learn the reason he is staggering.

2) Present an intriguing character: A good example of this is seen in Gone with the Wind: “Scarlett O’hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.” The reader instantly wonders what kind of charm could pull two men in.

3) Present an interesting place: “Iron spikes surmount each of the gates into the park, twenty-seven of them in some, Eighteen or eleven in others.” (The Keys to the Street, by Ruth Rendell). The reader is intrigued by the keys and wants to know what they unlock.

4) Present an interesting object: “There were marigolds in her salad, bright spiky orange petals among the radicchio.” Instantly the reader wonders why marigolds are in a salad. (The author of the article).

5) Present an intriguing situation: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times”. (A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

6) Give your reader something unexpected: “The last camel collapsed at noon.“ (The Key to Rebecca, by Ken Follet.)

7) Raise a question in your reader’s mind: “ One afternoon in late spring, Jane Whittaker went to the store for some milk and eggs and forgot who she was.” (See Jane Run, by Joy Fielding).

Once I completed my research, the lights came on. I came up with several ways to not only hook my reader on the first paragraph, but to keep them engaged throughout the novel (I hope).(: I also found a software program called Story Book which helped me organize scenes and chapters in my novel. I now have character lists which allow me to include personality traits, physical descriptions and so much more. I can’t believe I went so long without such a useful writing tool. Now I have a multi-dimensional picture of my plot and the character’s role in it. I would recommend this to any writer. I’d be interested to know if anyone else has suffered through a similar experience with their novels-- If so, how did you overcome the obstacles?

Comments

  1. Keep your chin up. It sounds like you are on the way to writing a good story. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v