Skip to main content

Be Jolly Holiday Blogfest


The family Christmas tree

Hello everyone,
For those who don't know,  Through the Looking Glass   is holding a Be Jolly by Golly holiday blogfest.  Entrants must submit a favorite holiday recipe and drink.  For those who are interested mine are posted at the bottom.

Things have been quite busy here in my neck of the woods. Two of the last three weekends were spent at Christmas parties. During the week we entertained family and friends from out of town. Last weekend we stayed at the Greenbrier Resort. My husband happened across a winter special where the rates were substantially reduced and he surprised with a getaway there.

For those of you who are not familiar with this hotel, it's considered one of West Virginia's premier vacation spots. After staying at the facility I can see why. We had a wonderful time. The place was festively decorated, and the food...Man-oh-man!!! was it good. We participated in a wine tasting that left us feeling very, very, happy.
Sommelier (left) Me (middle) Hubby (right)
The goofy look on my face is due to the wine
tasting.
We'd have been fine if the imbibing stopped at the tasting, but nooooo, we went on to the bar and continued to try other wines from Chile and Argentina. By the end of the night we had promised to write letters commending the bar tender for his wonderful service. We met people from all over the state and laughed a lot. I couldn't tell you about what, but at the time the subject at hand seemed very funny. Anywho, if any of you ever get an opportunity to visit the Greenbrier, I'd highly recommend you take advantage of it.

After the above synopsis of my month, I’m sure it comes as no surprise that this is the first chance I had to sit down and compose a thought. I'm soooo behind on my writing. I have two critiques to conduct on Scribophile and I need to comment on all the blogs I follow ( I've really missed that). I also have to edit chapters two and three of my work-in-progress before I can move onto four. Now that things have slowed down, I hope to get back into my routine.  Don't forget to stop in at the blogfest and take a look at all the yummy recipes the participants have entered.   I wish you all a blessed holiday. Until next year my friends...

Creme De Menthe Truffles (can't get the picture to upload)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup creme de menthe
4 cups confectioner's sugar
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening
1.  In large bowl, combine butter, pecans and creme de menthe.  Gradually beat in confectioners sugar.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
2.  lightly dust hands with confectioner's sugar, shape mixture into 1-inch balls.  Place onto waxed paper lined baking sheet.  Chill for thirty minutes or until firm.
3.  In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening: stir until smooth.  Dip balls in chocolate mixture: let excess drip off.  Return to waxed paper; chill until set.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Favorite drink.
Red Sangria (Go figure...)

1 Bottle of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
1 Lemon cut into wedges
1 Orange cut into wedges1 Lime cut into wedges
2 Tbsp sugar
Splash of orange juice or lemonade
2 Shots of gin or triple sec (optional)
1 Cup of raspberries or strawberries (may use thawed or frozen)
1 Small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
4 Cups ginger ale
Preparation:


Pour wine into a large pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple then add sugar, orange juice and gin. Chill overnight. Add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving. If you'd like to serve right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice. However, remember that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the frig. - allowing the flavors to really marinate into each other.

Comments

  1. Wine tastings make me happy too!

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good wine tasting!!! Have a very happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome tree!! I think I'll taste some wine myself tonight. :)

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan Candyland and D.L. have a wonderful Christmas and take it from me, don't drink too much. The day after really kills.(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wine tasting is the shortest way to a very happy Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from the only blogging cat from the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove truffles! Thanks for sharing! Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tree! And I'm a huge fan of sangria! Merry Christmas to you and your family! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes, I know those sorts of wine tastings :D
    Lovely tree, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you joined the blog hop! Wine tastings bring about a grin on my face too. Good luck on the writing and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all who stopped in and commented on my blog, I look forward to getting to know you all better. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Creme de Menthe Truffles, yummy! The Greenbrier sounds wonderful - what a nice surprise. Have a fabulous rest of December!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, Andrea. I love your tree and your recipes. How can you go wrong with chocolate and red wine! The Greenbrier sounds like a great hotel.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, GORgeous tree! Truffles, oh my goodness, yes. :o) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, yummy treats! Your tree is beautiful. I like how it's in front of those big, lovely windows!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that is a tree! Wine tasting makes me all kinds of happy!

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tree. And that was very sweet of him to take you on a getaway. Merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wine tasting is awesome. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tree is GORGEOUS!! And those truffles sound delicious. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The truffles sound yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to all who've stopped in during the blogfest. I have really enjoyed getting know everyone. Have a blessed Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice getaway! Wishing you a slower New Year ;)

    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those truffles sound absolutely amazing!!!

    Thank you so much for participating in our blog fest!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous tree an fireplace. And who can beat truffles!

    Happy Christmas.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v