Skip to main content

Top Ten Errors Writer's Make When Submitting Their Manuscripts to Agents

Hello All,
I hope life is treating you well.  Things are good here in my neck of the woods.
Last weekend I attended a writer's conference in Roanoke, Virginia.  I met some interesting people and learned a lot about the publishing business.  One of the more informative sessions I attended was conducted by Joan Timberlake, Literary Agent for Timberlake Literary Services.  She spoke about the top ten errors writers make when submitting their manuscripts.  I thought it would be helpful to share them with you:
  • Writers should not send mass e-mails.  No Dear Sir or Madam headings. 
  • Writers should not contact literary agents when what they really want is a marketer for their novel.  
    • Agents do not do this. They are primarily concerned with selling the novel to a publisher.  
  • Sending an upolished manuscript to an agent expecting them to edit it will get a writer rejected.  Ensure the draft is as close to perfect as it can get. 
    • Although agents will recommend some changes, they are not proofreaders and editors.
  • Writers should never send a query letter that tells the agent to look at the material on their website. 
    • Yes, some doe doe birds have done this.
  • Writers who refuse to make manuscript changes that the agent requests will be turned away.
  • Writers ensure their queries are perfect before sending them out.  If it is a mess the agent will see that as a telling sign of what's to come and they will reject the piece. 
  • Don't approach an agent with an idea and tell them it's the greatest thing since Harry Potter.  Agents can't do anything with an idea.
    • Write the book and then they will talk to you.
  •  Writer's should not begin their manuscripts with cliches like, It was a dark and stormy night.  They will be rejected.
  • Do not spam an agent who rejected a writer's manuscript and tell them something like: "Harry Potter was rejected and you are making the worst mistake of your life."
    • Sour grapes author is not the best reputation to have in the industry. 
  • Last, but certainly not least, writer's should not carry grudges with old agents into relationships with new ones.  
Also, Ms. Timberlake gave a couple of tips for new writers.
  • Never pay a reader's fee to an agent.  This is part of their job.
  • Writer's usually pay for their own shipping.
  • Look for an agent that is a lawyer or has legal expertise like a law degree.  Contracts are tricky and the writer needs to be represented by someone who knows what to look for and what to ask for in a contract.
  • Do not send out a manuscript before it is ready.  Make sure it is polished till it shines. 
  • Publishers love series books, shows the writer is not a one book wonder.  
  • Queries should include the word count.  First paragraph should explain why the writer chose the particular agency to represent them.  Second paragraph should include the book synopsis.  The third paragraph should include the writer's qualifications.  If he/she received awards, any and all publications, degrees etc., that qualify them to write a novel should be included.
I hope this information helps some of you who are ready to submit queries.  Although I'm not there yet, someday down the road I will be.  This information is helpful to know.  Until next time, happy writing.
  

Comments

  1. A lot of good, solid information here for getting into the business side of writing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. They are very thorough and they are a good reminder to all of us.


    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey thanks! So many people improvise themselve writing-help experts, but not many convey the information they heard in conferences. This was a cool read, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. I don't have the time to attend conferences as I am busy with life right now and quite weary of the query. Having been involved in theater, I feel it's a bit like casting...too short, too tall, too old. I have gotten some very good feedback but no takers yet and am a novice to this arena. Hey, ask me how to deliver a baby and I'm a pro having taught materal-child health for 15 years but honestly is there a secret? Do you have to know the producer, or is there a director's couch...although I may be a bit old for that since I have 12 grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic idea! I never had an advice when beginning and this would have been awesome stuff to have lined up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I don't like it, but writing is a business. If I didn't know this before the conference I sure do now. Lots to understand isn't there?(:

    Candyland, don't give up. You never fail until you stop trying.

    Path, Wow! twelve grandchildren. No wonder you don't have time to attend conferences.(: I'm not sure what the trick to getting work noticed is. Timing probably has a lot to do with it.

    Hi Jeff. Hope your M.S. is moving forward so you can use the conference info soon.(:

    Jen, It must have been hard to figure out all the query stuff on your own. Even with all the info I've collected about the process, it still seems overwhelming. I hope your research pays off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's really comforting is that I knew most of that already. But it makes good reading for those yet uniformed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No doubt about it, really helps to stay ahead of the game D.L. Take care and thanks for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v