Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Editing Light Bulb

Hello my fellow bloggers, hope you've had a productive writing week.  Mine was devoted to editing my manuscript.  First, I printed it off, then grabbed my trusty red pen and went to town.   One glaring mistake I noticed (among many), was I tended to repeat phrases.  I seemed to love using the following words: then, such as, just as, but, yet, and at that moment.  I also have problems with commas.  Depending on the day and my mood, either I overused or underused them.  There was no happy medium.
By the time I finished editing the first five chapters, the  pages looked as if someone had bled on them.  

Although I reviewed my draft onscreen multiple times before now, somehow the problems slipped past me.  Guess my editing lightbulb must not have been connected to the outlet back then.

 Best I can figure, my heightened attention to detail was a result of setting the project aside for a while.  Also, I'm sure that having a tangible manuscript didn't hurt anything.  It probably provided a different perspective as I read. Whatever the case, I'm glad the lights came on.
   
Do any of you follow certain steps or procedures when editing a manuscript?  Is anyone guilty of filling their draft with overused phrases? If so, I'd be interested to know about them.  Until next time, happy writing.