Monday, December 12, 2011

Word To The Wise

As many of you know,  in October, Literary agent, Becca Stumpf expressed interest in my manuscript and requested a partial.  Since then, I have been working diligently with a local editor to polish my book before submitting it to her.  

In fact, I was just a few weeks away from a final draft.  That is, until last Saturday (12-10-11).  After brewing a cup of Go-Go juice, I headed to my office to get some writing done.  However, when I went to turn on my computer, it would not boot up.  I just purchased the device three months ago, so you can imagine my surprise.  As a person who tries to see the cup half-full instead of the converse, I was thankful for the external hard drive that backed up all my work each night.

I called Samsung and explained the situation.  The customer service representative instructed me to complete another back up.  Then he walked me through a system and data restore. After several hours on the phone, I thought everything was good to go.  Well, that's what I get for thinking.  Last night when I tried to use my computer, it gave me the same trouble as Saturday.  I called Samsung this morning and the company is paying to ship it to their warehouse for repair. 

Already frustrated by the hassle, I pulled out my old laptop (that dates back to Jurassic Park) and went to retrieve the latest copy of my book from the external hard drive.  Much to my disappointment, the only version I could find dated back to September.  Yes, that's right SEPTEMBER!!!!!!  December's version was on it yesterday.  What happened between then and now is beyond me.

Fortunately, the copy my editor e-mailed to me last month was still on file, so I was able to retrieve some of my changes.  Now I'm about a month behind on completing my book.  To make matters worse, I'm not sure where his copy left off, so now I have to go back and re-read the entire draft.  I'm beginning to wonder if the fates are against me.

Anywho, for those of you who are wondering where I'm going with this post, I hope it will serve as a warning of what not to do.  Don't make the same mistake I did by putting all of your eggs in one basket.  Find multiple places to store your work. Although this whole dilemma stung like hell, I learned a valuable lesson.  From now on, not only will I back up my draft to the external hard drive, but I will also store it on a removable thumb drive and e-mail it to myself. 

If nothing else, I hope my experience will prevent some other writer from making the same mistake.  Until next time, happy writing.