Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group Post---Miscommunications in Literature

This is a post for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group 

Sorry my post is a day late, but this has been a daunting week.  I had to deal with some personal issues that arose with my teenager.  Without going into too much detail, when I confronted my son about his behavior, he tried to turn the situation on me.  Of course I stopped him cold, but not before he fed me a few snippets from  conversations we had over the years.  While doing this, I was taken aback by how often he misconstrued what I said.  Seriously, his interpretation was totally off the mark.

 This experience caused me to wonder whether miscommunication occurred in literature. It certainly exists in e-mail and texts.  I can't count the times I misinterpreted the meaning of a message.  Since my stories have a moral to them,  I suddenly became concerned/insecure about whether or not the readers got what I was trying to say.  If  this happened, then it would definitely detract from the power of my piece.  Although I try to write clearly and concisely, in the end, people see what they want to see.

Do any of you know of a way to keep misinterpretations in writing down to a minimum?  If so, I'd be interested to know how you do this.  Until next time my friends, happy writing.