Monday, August 13, 2012

Approaches in Writing

Hello all, hope you've had a productive week. Mine was interesting. Recently I visited a blog where the author reported it took a year to complete their novel.  I scratched my head, wondering how the heck they did it.  I could see a first draft in this time frame, but to finish the work in its entirety, seemed impossible.

Curious to see if this was the exception or the norm, I googled popular authors like Stephen King and Stephanie Meyer.  Needless to say, it's the norm.  King usually writes a draft in six months.  He puts it away for a year then re-writes it. Meyer took six months to write her first novel, Twilight.  Their efficiency and expediency motivated me to try a new approach to writing.

Normally, it takes about a month to complete two chapters (if I'm lucky).  I write and edit,then write again, then edit again, until I feel the piece is pristine. Seriously, I cannot move forward until the draft is good as I can get it.  The problem is, when I look at it a few weeks later, with a fresh set of eyes, I still find ways to improve the piece.  It's a never ending cycle.

This week  I decided to try something different.  I wrote the chapter and moved onto the next without editing it first.  Admittedly, it was tough. Whenever I hit the hay, my mind continually ran through the revisions my chapter needed.  The following day, I forced myself to move on..   By Saturday, I had churned out two chapters.

Currently,  I'm on chapter thirty-four and have completed 72,000 words of my third draft. If I just write my ideas and move forward, I should have ten chapters done in a month or two.  Using my previous approach, I'd be looking at a year, not including final edits, etc. Since I'm ready to be done with this novel and move onto the next, I'll be taking the most expedient approach.  Do any of you share the same struggles? If so, I'd be interested to know how you kept from devoting most of your time to editing.  Until next week, happy writing.