Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group





Hello fellow bloggers, hope you had a productive  week   Mine has been devoted to writing a love scene. I really struggle with these, or in the case of this post, am insecure about them.  Not because I'm uncomfortable with romance, but mainly because building sexual tension between two people, in prose, is difficult.  Too many cheesy euphemisms for body parts or  flowery phrases, can  make a scene more comical than romantic.  Not enough of them and the character's seem wooden and one-dimensional.

Vanes Hart at The Romance Studi says love scenes should reflect the character's emotions and reactions to the intimacy, without giving the reader a play-by-play on every touch.  Well, this is easier said than done.   I've devoted the last three days to the scene in my book and I'm still not sure it's right.   Have any of you struggled with  love scenes?  If so, I'd be interested in to know how you overcame the problem.  Until next time, happy writing.