Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Year For Closure



Hello all, Its  time to post another entry for the Insecure Writer's Group, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh If you have time, please show your support by dropping in and reading what other writers are discussing. 
As for me, I'm just pleased to have a place to vent about my writing experiences. 

After three years and counting, I still haven't finished my novel and there are days this really frustrates me. Perhaps the inordinate amount of time I've devoted to my project is due to my Type-A side, or maybe it's attributed to a fear of letting go.  Whatever the case, I've concluded that all things must come to an end, so last week I resolved to make 2013 the year for closure.  This means completing my manuscript no matter what.  

So far I’ve written 290 pages of the third draft of my story.  If I dedicate four hours a day, everyday, then the book should be finished by the end of April.  The novel begins in the 16th century Mayan jungle and ends in a supernatural conspiracy that leads to the White House in the 21st century. Since it's set  in two different time periods, braiding the plots together so the story flows in a believable manner has been tedious and grueling. On especially frustrating days, I've turned to friends for support.  Although they try, I’ve found that discussing my book with lay people for more than two minutes, resulted in glazed looks that screamed the lights were on but nobody was home. Understandably so, as I have learned that only a fellow writer could relate to the complexities of establishing plot twists or creating sympathetic characters.


With this in mind, I'd like to warn you all to expect lots of whining in the coming months.  Achieving my goal won't be easy but with your continued support I will do it.  I feel very blessed to be a part of the ISWG. . The feedback I've received from members over the past year has been helpful and  reassuring.  I appreciate you all more than you know.  Until next time, happy writing.