Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Dreaded Ending







Hello Everyone,
Hard to believe its time for another ISWG post.  The days have flown by and I really  don't feel like I  have much to show for  them.  I hoped to have the third draft of my novel completed by the first of May, but alas, this is not the case. Sigh.  I am at a place where all the pieces of my plot converge and  show the big picture. The chapter that captures this took me a month to write, but now that it's done, it was well worth the effort.With one of the most difficult parts of the novel completed, I can concentrate on finishing the final four chapters.

Completing the draft will be a major achievement, but I cannot bring myself to get too excited about it.  There is still so much left to done.  First, I'll have to ensure my story is organized in a manner where the plot flows well.  Since I've already identified places throughout the book that need to be rearranged, there is no doubt I will have to devote a substantial amount of time to this.  Then, I'll have kill my darlings,cut major pieces of exposition and conduct the final check for grammar, syntax, etc.  Three of my friends have volunteered to beta read.  Once their feedback is received, I'll have to look for parallels in the critiques, and will then complete the final edit.  And let's not forget the most important part---the dreaded query letter, which I haven't even began to tackle. Argh!  It's all so overwhelming.

Although I 'm anxious to finish this project, I'm also dreading what happens at the end of my journey. I will finally find out if my work is good enough to make the cut in the publishing world. I keep picturing myself staring at hundreds of rejections and regretting the time I dedicated to my book.  I know this is negative thinking and the outcome is beyond my control, but it's still pretty darned scary.  Has anyone else out there experienced these insecurities or am I the lone ranger? If so, how did you deal with them?  Any and all advice is appreciated.  Until next time my friends, happy writing.