Skip to main content

ISWG Are Online Whisper Groups Bullying YA Authors Out of Publication? What's an Author to Do?


t's time for another installment of the Insecure Writer's Group hosted by the illustrious Alex J. Cavanaugh. To learn more about this supportive group click on the host's name.

I feel very strongly about what happened to this author, and I fear it could happen to the rest of us if we don't stick together. 

Recenty, SCMP reported that after signing a seven figure book deal for the Fantasy, BLOOD HEIR, Chinese author Amelie Wen Zhao was forced to pull it from publication due to allegations of racism.  

The premise of the highly anticipated Fantasy trilogy was a retelling of Anastasia, except Zhao's adaptation used blood magic. Critics felt the story had racist undertones because of the cover blurb's description of a "World where oppression is blind to skin color and good and evil exist in shades of gray."

Many criticisms came from a whispers online group, which, from my understanding are sort of the gate-keepers to approving YA novels.  I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but for the sake of brevity, I hope it gets the point across. The backlash began when one critic, LL McKinney, tweeted how the book perpetuated anti-black sentiment. She said it was not possible for oppression to be color blind. This, in turn, set the wheels of book-bashing in motion. 

Zhao, who immigrated from China at the age of 18, wrote a response letter, apologizing for any offense she may have caused, adding that the story was a representation of the indentured labor and human trafficking, prevalent in her country today. Further, the history of slavery in the U.S. was not something she intended to write about, but she recognized the subject was not viewed from her cultural context.  

The problem I had with this entire situation was two-fold. First, Zhao was bullied into pulling her book from publication, which IMHO, is a form of censorship. Secondly, even if McKinney's comments were true, the public had a right to read and interpret the story for themselves. They never had a chance to start a conversation about it. Since when does the opinions of the few dictate which books pass muster?  Free speech was and is the very foundation our country is built upon. If that's taken away, us authors may as well toss our pens and be done with it. 

This brings me to the reason I chose to include the above information in the ISWG today. I'm currently writing a YA historical Fantasy that includes controversial themes. In my narrative, I've strived to build a model main character who makes the right choices, and overcomes her obstacles in a healthy manner. After reading about Zhao's experience, I'm insecure about some of the issues raised in my novel. If I'm fortunate enough to become a published author, will my book be rejected by the elite few? Experts in the publishing industry have often told me to write the story I want to write and forget about everything else. But it takes years to accomplish this. I'm now afraid that any story with controversial themes will be pulled. What's an author to do? Any and all comments about this will be welcomed. Until next time, happy writing.    
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying

Back in December, I learned about an unpublished novel contest that assessed the following criteria: characterization, setting, plot, dialogue, voice and writing skill.  In addition to all this, the MS would receive feedback from the judges. Not a bad deal, right?  Although my draft was far from complete, I decided to enter it anyway, reasoning that the critique would identify areas of weakness in my writing.  Well, needless to say, I finally heard back last week.  The first forty pages of my draft were returned with the following letter attached:   The judges had mixed reactions to this particular manuscript, with some feeling it was well-    paced and  another saying there was not enough plot movement! One questioned whether the dialogue fit the time/  year/culture, while others felt it did. They all agreed on liking the expository details and descriptions, but   wondered where the story was going.  Consider beginning with a scene that hooks the reader with   compelling acti

Logline #5...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented on my submission yesterday.  As many of you may know by now, Steena Holmes over at Chocolate Reality  is holding a logline contest.  Young Adult author, Michelle McLean will either critique the winner's query, or the first five to ten pages of their manuscript. This is a great opportunity for one of us to get some professional feedback on our work. If you get a couple of minutes, please stop by Steena's blog and check out some of the other loglines.  I've got some stiff competition. (:  After mulling over last night's comments, I revised my logline to include some of the issues that were addressed.  The fifth submission is the latest version of my logline.  I think it is the best one so far, but hey what do I know? (don't answer that).  Anywho, it would be helpful if I could get your thoughts on the piece. Thanks for your time.  I look forward to your feedback. Final one sentence version . After her father's

Anti-Procrastination Challenge/Giveaway

Hello Everyone and Welcome, Sorry for the delay in posting this thread, but I was busy grilling some shish kabobs for Karen G’s Labor Day barbeque at Coming Down the Mountain . Everyone’s invited so be sure and drop in for some mouth watering eats, and a friendly chat with your fellow bloggers. Hopefully interacting with other writer’s will motivate me to get cracking on my novel. I’ve been quite lax in my authorial duties lately. Yesterday, I headed to inspiration station to catch the Writing train. However, I got lost along the way and wound up at Procrastination place. I must have turned left when I should have gone right, because I wound up in a chat jam, and there was no end in sight. As I lumbered through the writing threads, I realized my plight, I lacked motivation and my mind was wound too tight. So I took another right and stopped for the night to think up a way to turn on my light. Okay, Okay, I’ll refrain from imposing anymore metaphors on you. I’m sure you get it. I’v